Betting firm SportPesa has announced that its nearing resuming operations after months of government ban, over claims of failing to adhere to licensing regulations and tax evasion.
Speaking to the Standard, SportPesa communication boss Jean Kiarie said that it is just a matter before the giant betting platform resumes its operations.
She said on Friday that the firm is only awaiting a greenlight from the Betting Control and Licensing Board (BCLB), after applying for a renewal of its licence as was directed.
She said that its the company’s hope that the committee will act on the Wednesday application the soon, after which Kenyans will be free to place their bets once again.
“We received a letter on Wednesday asking us to reapply for the licence which we did immediately. We remain hopeful the board will not take their sweet time to verify our application,”she told the paper on phone.
She expressed knowledge of the frustrations the firm’s clients are undergoing, especially now that the European games are on.
She added that the firm will also resume its sponsorship programmes for the local sporting teams which had been running before the ban.
“Once we are back, we will review the business position and restart sponsorship of all our previous agreements,” she added.